Fall is upon us and it is time to bring out that fall wardrobe to complement the weather change. Check out "The Fix Edition" article below quoting 2 Garde Robe employees' suggestions on how to gradually transition your closet and wardrobe from Spring/Summer to Fall/Winter.
There’s a little known secret to looking stylish: preparation. Focusing your energy on tackling the smaller details allows less room for expensive mistakes or wardrobe mishaps. Here’s a rundown of fixes for transitioning into the new season that will prepare you for next week’s fall-fashion item.
Doug Greenberg, VP of sales, and Damion West, wardrobe manager and stylist, of Garde Robe, a premier clothing storage and valet service suggest the following ways to get your wardrobe in order:
• Update your closet in two stages: Right now begin storing summery dresses and beachwear. Then, in late-October, do your lightweight layering pieces or silk garments. Always try to clean clothing before storing it.
• Clear plastic hanging bags from the dry cleaners are the worst – the plastic emits a gas that can cause discoloration (in particular, they turn white shirts yellow).
• Store your clothes in muslin and canvas hanging bags or acid-free archival boxes for folded items. Garde Robe uses highly recommend supplies from Margaret’s Cleaners.
• Shoes should always be stored in boxes that allow you to easily view them. You can find options at containerstore.com or shoetrap.com.
• Elizabeth W. Shoe Inserts help to deodorize and retain shape of shoes. Always make sure to have shoe trees.
• Get dust bags for storing and protecting your bags and shoes. Online at bagadocious.com.
• Elizabeth W. Drawer Liners in cedar or lavender will help deter material-damaging insects. Moth traps are also effective as they attract and kill adult moths, which prevents them from laying the larvae that actually chomp your clothes.
• Always replenish your stocking drawer. Use the elastic for pony tail holders.
To inquire about their services, call 212-255-3163 or go to Garderobeonline.com. The Fix Edition members will receive a complimentary storage for up to 20 pairs of spring/summer shoes, a complimentary in-home closet/wardrobe consultation, and a welcome gift with moth-prevention sachets. Just mention the The Fix Edition when you call or enter TFE in the "referred by" box at the become a member link."
Check out The Fix Edition here